Minutes, Shawnee Green Party, December 11, 2019
Present: Randy Auxier, Lee Hartman, Charlie Howe, Rich Whitney. Rich facilitated.
a. The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) will hold a public hearing for citizen input on the matter of a Water Discharge Permit requested by Williamson Energy, LLC, to pipe waste water from mining operations into the Big Muddy River. The session is Wednesday, December 18, 2019, at 6:00 p.m., at Diamond Club, Rent One Park (baseball stadium), 1000 Miners Drive Marion, Illinois.
b. Southern Illinoisans Against Fracturing our Environment (SAFE) will meet in January, date t.b.a.
c. Vigil for Peace and Justice, Peace Coalition of Southern Illinois, Saturday, January 4, noon to 1:00 p.m., Carbondale Town Square Pavilion. Theme t.b.a.
d. Carbondale’s Sustainability Commission’s survey results were presented to the City Council on Tuesday, December 10. They probably will be posted on the City’s website.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Charlie reports that our bank balance is $666.50. This is a discrepancy of $230 from last month’s balance of $896.50. As Charlie will be out of town, Lee (who is also a signatory on the Party account) will check with the Bank of Carbondale to find out what expenditure was made.
3. ILGP business: The Spring Membership Meeting will be held either on Leap Day (Sat. Feb. 29) or on the following Saturday (Mar. 7). The state party will be trying to get a grant from the GPUS to hire petitioners to get a Green candidate on the November ballot. The petitioning period is from the end of March to the end of June.
4. Fourth Tuesday event: We decided not to schedule an event for the evening of December 24. We discussed possible topics for a January Fourth Tuesday (Jan. 28), including Ecosocialism and the problem with plastics.
5. Other business: We discussed informally what would be involved in running a full slate of candidates for all seven of the districts of the Jackson County Board.
6. Meeting adjourned at 7:15.
Minutes submitted by Lee Hartman